Friday, January 30, 2009

180 bpm

The nurse we met with two weeks ago that made me cry, was wrong -- and I've already failed my first motherly task (with this baby).

This morning, around eight a.m., I realized that I forgot to catch my first morning urine for our doctor's appointment!! I waited until they opened at nine o'clock to call the doctor's office and they told me that if they need it, they would get a sample when I get there. I'm sure it's not a big deal...but I'm not going to get a mother of the year award either. :-)

The nurse weighed me. Then made me pee in a cup (which is not difficult, since I pee every half hour). She left me half of a gown and told me to undress...everything. Seriously....the gown was not a regular hospital gown, it was half size. When you go for a mammogram, they only make you take off your top, and they give you the same half gown thing. How is that right?

The nurse left and Charlie said, "Uhh...do I have to stay for this part?" :-) I told him that this is where they would check for the heartbeat. He chose to stay (in the chair, behind me). :-)

The doctor came in and asked a lot of questions. Many of the questions were centered around my eating habits, beginning with, "What does vegetarian mean to you?". She seemed to dwell on the vegetarianism a bit more than needed. I eat beans. I eat rice. I eat eggs (thanks to Charlie specifically making them for me because he wants to be sure the baby gets the needed protein -- he's so cute). :-)

We told her that we weren't interested in having any of the screenings or tests. What's the point really? We will have the ultrasound, though. :-) That's just too fun to do without!

Then she did the exam. When she was getting to the end of feeling me up inside and out she said, "How many weeks are you?". When I told her, "ten" she said, "Now we may not be able to hear the heartbeat yet...." I quickly responded with, "But you'll try, right?" And she did.

180 beats per minute....it was beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment